Connecticut Taxes Taking the Shirt off Citizens’ Backs
Statewide Tour to Provide Free Replacement T-shirts
Tour kick-off event hosted by TV commentator Joe Scarborough
The Yankee Institute for Public Policy is launching a new statewide tour asking citizens, “Is Connecticut taxing the shirt off your back?” The tour kick-off event, which will provide “replacement t-shirts” for overtaxed Connecticut residents, will feature TV commentator and former congressman Joe Scarborough of MSNBC.
The Shirt Off My Back Tour will kick off Thursday, Aug. 20, at Fairfield University with a forum hosted by MSNBC host Joe Scarborough. The tour will make a preview stop Saturday, Aug. 15, at the Milford Oyster Festival. Future stops include Norwich, Hartford and New Haven.
The educational tour will inform and give residents an opportunity to share why they love Connecticut.
Many taxpayers feel mistreated and want to stay in the state they love, but find lawmakers are making their life here harder and harder to afford. “Taxpayers need help turning dissatisfaction into action,” said Carol Platt Liebau, president of the Yankee Institute. “Let’s get together to make the state we love vibrant once again.”
The Yankee Institute will host a booth Saturday at the Milford Oyster Festival. Visitors can sign up to get a free t-shirt, learn about state and local taxes or make a video sharing why they love Connecticut. Reporters are welcome to interview festival attendees who want to share their “I would stay in Connecticut if…” stories. Yankee will post the best videos online after each tour stop.
Forum attendees – who must pre-register to get a free ticket – will have an opportunity to ask questions of Yankee Institute experts, local lawmakers and hosts including MSNBC’s Joe Scarborough and former U.S. Rep. Rob Simmons.
Saturday, Aug. 15, 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.
Milford Oyster Festival
- Sign up and get a free t-shirt
- Share your story on video, “I would stay in Connecticut if…”
- Learn about state and local taxes
Thursday, Aug. 20, 6:30 p.m.
Host: Joe Scarborough
Fairfield University Gonzaga Auditorium (Gonzaga Hall, 1073 N. Benson Rd)
Tickets are free but registration is required. Go here to register: http://sombtourkickoff.eventbrite.com
Invited panelists include Yankee Institute experts and local lawmakers
- Norwich – Forum hosted by former U.S. Rep. Rob Simmons, Tuesday, 6:30 to 8 p.m., Sept. 8, Knights of Columbus, 47 S. 2nd Ave., Taftville
- Hartford – Tax reform public hearing (Wear your shirt and speak up!) Wednesday, Sept. 16, 4 to 8 p.m., Legislative Office Building, 300 Capitol Ave.
- New Haven – Connecticut Future of Freedom Summit, 9 a.m. to 4 p.m., Saturday, Sept. 26, Omni Hotel, 155 Temple St., Details and registration: https://ctfreedomsummit.eventbrite.com
- More to come…