The Yankee Institute for Public Policy Studies is a research and citizen education organization founded in 1984 under section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Service code. As one of America’s oldest state-based think tanks, Yankee develops and advocates for free market, limited government public policy solutions in Connecticut.
We are dedicated to improving lives through freedom and opportunity. Wielding the power of award-winning research and top-notch public relations skills, the Yankee Institute is the most recognized free market think tank in Connecticut.
Put simply, Yankee is an entrepreneur in the marketplace of ideas, selling a range of products that promote individual liberty and economic prosperity. Our products include:
- Award-winning research on issues such as taxation, government spending, education, energy, transportation, health care, and government transparency and accountability
- Investigative journalism to uncover government waste, fraud, and abuse in state and local government
- Public opinion polling on public policy issues
- Events such as the Yankee Institute Speakers Luncheon series, the Milton Friedman birthday party, and other well-attended events
- Working through our sister organization Yankee Action, we promote and advocate free market, limited government principles with multimedia campaigns
The nine members of the Yankee Institute Board of Directors provide strategic guidance and financial oversight for the organization and are supported by the YI Advisory Committee. Yankee’s work is funded through the generosity of private individuals and foundations. We do not accept government funds and file annual disclosure reports with the Internal Revenue Service.
Yankee Institute for Public Policy
800 Connecticut Blvd Suite 302
East Hartford, CT 06108
Submit your resume and cover letter seeking employment, internships, or fellowships to Jessica Buchanan.
IRS Form 990 – 2007 (PDF)
IRS Form 990 – 2008 (PDF)
IRS Form 990 – 2009 (PDF)
IRS Nonprofit Letter (PDF)
Board of Directors
Robert R. Simmons, Chairman
Gerald Gunderson, Treasurer
George W. Schiele